Leda's Address

4400 Presidential Dr.
Albuquerque, New Mexico
87109

1st Nephi 3:7

And it came to pass that I, Nephi, said unto my father: I will go and do the things which the Lord hath commanded, for I know that the Lord giveth no commandments unto the children of men, save he shall prepare a way for them that they may accomplish the thing which he commandeth them.

Friday, February 26, 2010

~Scripure Study with Leda~

I've been reading in Alma 50+ about Moroni and Helaman and the stripling warriors. I've made a lot of comparisons with them and missionary work.
In Alma 49 and 50 it talks about how Moroni was always(continually) preparing for war. He never stopped making his cities stronger. That's kinda like missionary work. I'm always preparing to teach and making my foundation stronger. I have come to understand that I need to be prepared. Moroni didn't just sit in his cities thinking he would be protected, he had to do everything he could and then the Lord would make up the rest, after all we do. It goes on to talk about the Army of Helaman and how the warriors were young and exeedingly valiant for courage, strength and activity. They were true at all times and could be trusted. They were men of truth and soberness because they were taught to keep the commandments of God and to follow him. That was their rep. I hope that that is how people look at me, not just as a missionary.
I just love Moroni in Alma 55:19 it says that Moroni did not delight in shedding blood, but he delighted in saving his people from destruction. Moroni knew why he was fighting, for his family, country, and God. He knew his purpose and never forgot it. I think as missionaries (we are all missionaries), we need to think that way. Our society and government are not centered around those things. We are fighting for these same 3 things as missionaries. Moroni alsogave these Lamanites a choice- to either be on his side (freedom), or die. Of course we aren't going to kill anyone who rejects us, but in a way they are dying if they do reject us. I also love how Helaman calls the stripling warriors his sons - and in return they call him father. It reminds me of how our relationship should be with our mission president(s). It shows how close Helaman is to his army. I got the impression that Helaman was hesitant with letting his army go to war - in Alma 56:46 the warriors are telling Helaman to let them go - God is with them. They want to fight for their fathers so bad! They were so toung - it says they never fought before - but they weren't afraid of death, because they were taught by their mothers to not doubt, God would deliver them. In 56:55 it says Helaman feared that many of his "sons" were slain - I don't think that verse gives justice to the fear he felt (imagine losing a child) - in 56 it says "great joy," I don't think it gives justice either, but not one soul of his sons were fallen. It goes on to say these sons of his fought with the arm of God, basically, and that these seasoned warrior Lamanites were scared by these inexperienced warriors. I have no doubt that God was behind them 100%. They were taught by their mothers. It goes on in 57:21 that these warriors did obey with exactness. Obedience was their shield - there is safety in obedience. As a missionary I want to obey with exactness. I want to be like the stripling warriors in my missionary work! I'm just the instrument.
Love Leda

No comments:

Post a Comment